Request a Absentee Ballot
A Request an Absentee Ballot Application for an upcoming election can be requested by:
- Contacting the City Clerk's Office by phone and an application will be mailed to you.
- Download a Request for an Absentee Ballot Application (PDF).
- Pickup an application in-person from the City Clerk's Office.
All registered voters are eligible to request an Absentee Ballot.
Returning Your Voted Absentee Ballot
Absentee ballots can be mailed back to the City Clerk's Office via the U.S. Postal Service. Adequate postage must be placed on the envelope. Please send absentee ballots as soon as possible to avoid mailing delays. Absentee ballots must be received by Election Day in order to count.
Absentee ballots can be returned any time of day or night by using the White - City of Westland Mail Box located on the east side of Westland City Hall (near the regular U.S. Postal Mailbox) or drop off slot located to the east of the main entrance of Westland City Hall on the wall. No postage is necessary using either the white drop box or building drop off slot. Ballots will be accepted until 8 pm on Election Day.
Permanent Absentee Voter List
A registered voter in the City of Westland can request to be added to this list in order to receive an Absent Voter Application prior to each election. Recipients of these applications must complete the application for each election and return it to the Clerk's Office in order to receive a ballot. Complete the Request for Permanent List (PDF) and submit to the City Clerk's Office to be placed on this list.
Military & Overseas Citizen Absentee Ballots
If you are an active duty member of the Uniformed Services or Merchant Marine, the family of an active duty member of the Uniformed Services or Merchant Marine, or if you are a U.S. Citizen residing outside of the United States you may request an absentee ballot by completing a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) (PDF) and submitting it to the Westland City Clerk's Office. Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website for more information.
Changing Your Absentee Ballot Vote
If a voter has already voted absentee and wishes to change their vote, a voter can spoil their absentee ballot by submitting a written and signed Spoiled Ballot Request (PDF) to the City Clerk's Office. Voters have three options to spoil their absentee ballot:
- By Mail - The voter must sign the request and state if they would like a new absentee ballot mailed to them or if they will pick it up in person at the City Clerk’s Office. This request must be received by 5 pm the Friday before the election if received by mail.
- In Person - An absentee ballot that has been returned to the City Clerk's Office may be spoiled in person at the City Clerk’s Office until 10 am the Monday prior to the election.
- Return & Spoil a Ballot - An absentee ballot that has not been returned to the City Clerk's Office may be spoiled in person at the City Clerk's Office until 4 pm the Monday prior to the election.
If a voter has not returned his or her ballot, the voter can surrender the ballot or sign a statement stating that the ballot was lost or destroyed and vote at the polls. There is no option on Election Day to spoil an absentee ballot that has been received by the City Clerk's Office.