Marijuana Business License Selection Committee
The Marijuana Business License Selection Committee (MBLSC) is governed by a three-member board appointed by the Mayor. The Committee administratively sorts, reviews, and scores marijuana license applications and any other duties contained in the City of Westland's marijuana business application consideration policy. The application process window for Marijuana Business Licenses is opened and closed by the City based on number of available licenses. The first application window closed as of July 16, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
The city is opening a second application window. The second application window for marijuana business licenses opens on May 15, 2022 and will remain open thru 5:00 p.m. June 30th, 2022. During this second application window the city is only accepting applications for one micro business license and one secure transporter license. No exceptions will be made for late submissions. See below under Application and Selection Process for pertinent materials. Submittal packages must be submitted to the City Clerk and must include completed application, necessary fees, and one electronic and one hard copy of the application package.
- Kyle Dawley, Police Chief
Term expires: n/a
- Darrell Stamper, Fire Chief
Term expires: n/a
- Mohamed Ayoub, Planning Director
Term expires: n/a
- Municipal Planning Background
- Building / Construction Background
- Civil Engineering / Architecture Background
- Landscaping / Facility Management Background
The information provided in the charts below and under each individual Board or Commission was self reported and the City does not warrant the accuracy of the information.
Number of Allowed Marijuana Businesses
Per Section 27-6 of the City ordinance:
Subject to the Westland Zoning Ordinance and requirements under this chapter, the city may grant licenses to up to eight total business locations as follows:
- One business location shall be reserved for a stand-alone secure transporter license, and its equivalent license, in industrial zoning districts.
- One business location shall be reserved for a stand-alone marijuana microbusiness license in industrial zoning districts.
- One business location shall be reserved for a stand-alone safety compliance facility license, and its equivalent license, in commercial, office, or industrial zoning districts.
- Two business locations shall be reserved for stand-alone provisioning center/retailer licenses in commercial zoning districts.
- Only one business location shall be allowed between the north side of Ford Road and the north boundary of the city.
- Only one business location shall be allowed between the south side of Ford Road and the south boundary of the city.
- The remaining three business locations shall be reserved for collocated businesses in industrial zoning districts.
Application and Selection Process
The Marijuana Business License Application Consideration Policy (PDF) explains the application process in detail.
Here is a high level overview of the process:
- Applicant fills out a Marijuana Business License Application (PDF).
- Applicant returns the completed application, with fee, to Westland City Hall.
- The MBLSC reviews the application and scores it using the Marijuana Business License Application Scoring Rubric (PDF) after the window for applications is closed.
- Once all applications are scored, all applicants will be provided their score and status.