News Flash

Home - Spotlight Carousel

Posted on: June 30, 2021

Report Storm Related Damage

house flood image

Update - 7/27/2021

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC) are there to help!

Residents can visit FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers to:

  • Learn about disaster assistance programs.
  • Apply for disaster assistance.
  • Check the status of your FEMA application.
  • Help you understand FEMA notices or letters.
  • Find housing and rental assistance information.
  • Get referrals to agencies that offer other assistance.
  • Meet with a Small Business Administration (SBA) agent.

To find the closest DRC:

  •  Use the online DRC Locator.
  • Text DRC and a Zip Code to 43362. Example: DRC 01234.

Current available locations near Westland:

  • 16301 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48126
  • 4900 Pardee Ave, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
  • 31735 Maplewood St, Garden City, MI 48135
  • 2260 S Fort St, Detroit, MI 48217

Update - 7/16/2021

President Biden has declared a Major Disaster Declaration for Wayne and Washtenaw Counties.  This provided our residents more opportunity for assistance related to storm damage through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Individuals in Washtenaw and Wayne Counties can apply with FEMA for assistance through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program in the following ways:

The FEMA application deadline is September 13, 2021 at 11:59pm.

The recent storm June 25 and 26, 2021 impacted a lot of us.  Unfortunately, storm damage has affected some residents of the City.  Governor Whitmer has declared a state of emergency in Wayne County due to the flooding caused by this storm.  

There are dumpsters located at the City Recycling Center that residents can drop off debris in instead of placing the debris on the curb.

If you were impacted by the recent storm, there are two forms that you can fill out  to report the storm damage you experienced and report a claim for storm damage with MMRMA, the City's insurance provider.

The first form is the Damage Assessment Reporting Form that provides an assessment of damage as required by State law.  This is not a claim for damages.  This form must be returned by July 2nd, 2021.

The second form is the MMRMA Incident Claim Form (PDF) to report a claim for damages with MMRMA, the City's insurance provider.  This form needs to be downloaded, filled out completely, and returned within 45 days of the reported incident.

Wayne County residents can call 211 to find help cleaning up debris form flood-damaged homes.

Operators will connect residents with volunteer and faith-based organizations that are able to assist them with debris clean-up. The 2-1-1 hotline operates daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

“The 2-1-1 service can help our seniors and other residents who are unable to clean out debris themselves find the assistance they need to safely restore their homes,” said Wayne County Executive Warren C. Evans. “Flood-damaged items must be removed to ensure homes are safe from unhealthy mold and other toxins. I encourage any resident who needs help removing debris to call 2-1-1.”

At this time, 2-1-1 cannot assist residents seeking financial help for flood damage. Residents who do not need assistance with debris removal should not call 2-1-1 about flood-related issues at this time.

What to Expect After Registering with FEMA

If you report your home is not livable, sanitary and safe when you register, it may be necessary for FEMA to perform an inspection of the damaged property. FEMA inspectors will contact you to meet at the address where the damage was reported. The inspector’s phone number may be from out of state, or show up on your caller ID as unavailable, so be sure to answer the phone. If the call goes to voicemail, the inspector will leave a call-back number, or you may receive a text message if no other contact is able to be made.  Due to COVID-19, inspections are being conducted from outside of your home, with the inspector following current CDC guidance. The inspector will not enter the home and will validate what happened by questioning you about the damage. Inspectors will also ask to do a video verification of disaster-caused damage by using a mobile device to walk through and view the home, when possible.  You will need to show the inspector your photo ID. You will not be asked to provide your social security number or bank account information. There is no cost for a FEMA inspection.

After your home inspection has taken place, a record of the disaster-caused damage is given to FEMA. From that record your eligibility for disaster assistance will be determined. If you qualify for a grant, the funds will be issued 7 to 10 days after your application. A letter will also be sent explaining the assistance you qualified for.  Reasonable accommodations, including translation and ASL interpreters will be available to ensure effective communication with applicants with limited English proficiency, applicants with disabilities, and other individuals with access and functional needs.  If you use a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel, make sure the specific number assigned to that service is listed as your contact number in your application. If you are communicating through Zoom or FaceTime, you can request an interpreter through Facetime or an interpreter and captioning through Zoom.  You may invite a designated party, such as a household member, relative or friend, to assist in communicating with the inspector.

All FEMA inspectors can be identified by their official federal photo ID badge. If you are in any doubt when receiving a call or an inspection visit from someone stating they are FEMA personnel, do not give out any information, but call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. ET to verify the call or visit is legitimate.

If you suspect someone is committing fraud, call the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721 or your local police department.

For more information about Michigan’s recovery, visit

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

  • Where can I call to report standing water, water that is still entering the structure, or any other storm damage related problems:
    • You can call the Department of Public Service at 734-728-1770 and select option #7.  For after hour non-storm related water issues, please call the Westland Police Department Non-Emergency line at 734-722-9600.  For any life threatening issues, please call 911.
  • How will my destroyed items be removed:
    • Please document and get photos of all items to be thrown away and then place in front of your house and City waste removal trucks will remove the items as they work through all the City's neighborhoods. No phone call is needed to schedule a pickup.
  • Can I get sanitary clean up kits from the City:
    • Yes, sanitary clean up kits are available from the City by calling Mayor Wild's office at 734-467-3200 during normal business hours.
  • How did this storm damage happen:
    • On June 25 and June 26, approximately 6 to 7 inches of rain fell on Southeast Michigan.  This massive amount of rain fall in a relatively small amount of time overwhelmed the entire Southeast Michigan storm sewer system causing backups into structures and other storm damage.
  • Where can I get the proper forms to fill out if I had storm damage:

The following are CLEAN-UP TIPS provided as a recommendation to assist with cleanup efforts:

*After the waters have receded, flush out and disinfect plumbing fixtures before resuming normal use.
*Avoid flushing toilets or using other water connected to appliances or fixtures. The discharge from these items may back up into the basement.
*The cleanup and drying of the basement should occur as quickly as possible to minimize mold and risk of problems.
*Clean appliances and/or ductwork. If electric motors, wiring or insulation have been saturated, have a qualified service technician remove the motor, dry it, and inspect for damage before plugging it back in and turning it on.
*Discard or properly wash and disinfect toys, clothing and other contaminated objects.
*Do not attempt to stop the flow of sewer back up through the floor drain or any other sewer drain. Any added obstruction could cause serious damage to your household drainage system and possibly a catastrophic rupture of the household sewer drainage system.
*Do not track sewage from the basement into the living areas of the house.
*Do not use any electrical equipment while standing in water.
*Do not use heat to dry closed building interiors; mildew and expanded water damage may result
*If a dishwasher, washing machine, shower, bathtub, toilet or other water fixture is operating shut it off immediately.
*If your basement walls are finished with drywall, all the areas contacted by water must be removed and disposed of within 24 hours. Once these items get wet, they retain moisture long enough to grow mold. Removing the wallboard also allows air to circulate around the wood studs so that they dry completely and will not need to be replaced.
*Keep children and animals out of the affected area.
*Move any uncontaminated property away from the affected areas.
*Operate wet vacuums only when plugged into a ground fault circuit interrupter or ground fault equipped outlet.
*Potential health and safety hazards must be identified and eliminated prior to implementing cleaning or restoration procedures. Before entering the affected area the potential for electrical shock hazards and gas leaks must be assessed.
*Remove and discard upholstered furniture and porous wood furniture stained by sewage.
*Sanitize and clean hardwood furniture, then thoroughly wipe, dry and apply an oil-based wood polish.
*Sanitize and repair, or remove and discard, paneling, wallboard or wall coverings.
*Treat all water soaked surfaces, furnishings and items as contaminated until properly cleaned & sanitized.
*Turn off the gas (or other fuel sources) to your furnace or heater and hot water heater.
*Unplug all electrical appliances, small electrical devices on the wet floor covering or other wet areas and turn off the circuit breakers supplying the electricity to affected areas.
*Ventilate the affected area with floor fans and a dehumidifier, if available, to properly dry the area. If it has not been directly contacted by water, activate the building’s heating, ventilation and doors when conditions are favorable.
*Wear protective clothing such as rubber boots, gloves and eye protection during cleanup and removal. To remove gloves turn them inside out, without touching the contaminated exterior.
*Dispose of them properly.
*Wet-vacuum to remove spillage. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home - Spotlight Carousel

Wild About Youth Works!

Wild About Youth Works! Program

Posted on: April 21, 2021
B and C Slideshow

Get Involved! Join a Board or Commission

Posted on: December 17, 2020

Curbside Recycling Information

Posted on: December 1, 2020