Curbside Leaf Program
- City crews and contractors will drive through neighborhoods on scheduled dates to pick up leaves that residents have raked to the edge of the road.
- Service dates, as well as any changes to them, will be communicated with street signs at neighborhood entrances. You can also stay up to date with the Curbside Leaf Program Updates.
- Leaf collection is anticipated to begin the week that includes November 6, 2023 and will end the week that includes December 15, 2023. This service period may be altered due to the weather or shifts in when leaves actually begin to fall.
- Please note that each eligible neighborhood will receive two (2) pickups during the designated leaf pickup season to ensure thorough collection and a cleaner community.
Residential Curbside Leaf Pickup Requirements
- Linear Pile: Rake leaves into a long linear pile. Avoid one big pile. Ensure you do not block drainage ditches or storm grates. Do not place leaves too far back from the roadway.
- Proactive Raking: If you are concerned about timely raking, consider placing your leaves in the easement. Once collection is imminent, leaves can easily be moved to the edge of the road.
- Leaves Only: Do not mix leaves with sticks, branches, or grass.
- No Plastic Bags: Leaves in plastic bags will not be picked up.
- Alternative Disposal: City crews might not collect all your leaves. Utilize yard waste collection for any leftovers. On your weekly refuse pickup day, leaves can be placed in cans marked with a yard waste sticker or in paper compost bags. Ensure these are separate from regular trash.
- Car Parking: Please relocate parked cars from the street on your pickup day.
- Avoid Obstructions: Do not pile leaves near mailbox posts, street signs, decorative rocks, or other tight spots.
- Weather Delays: Should weather or other factors interfere, pickups will be rescheduled as closely as possible to the original date.
- Final Pickup Caution: Do not place leaves in the street after the final pickup.
- Stay Updated: Pickup schedules can change. If crews finish early in one area, they may move on to the next. Stay up to date with the Curbside Leaf Program Updates.
- Collection on Holidays: Curbside leaf pickup service will not be available on Thanksgiving Day.
Questions or Issues
If you have any questions or issues about your curbside leaf pickup, please contact the Department of Public Service Monday through Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm at 734-728-1770 or email email@example.com
Best Practices When Raking Leaves
- Raking with a Tarp: To make the curbside leaf pickup process more efficient, rake your leaves onto a tarp. Once full, drag the tarp to the street to dump the leaves in a long line in front of your home.
- Safety: Please maintain a safe distance from ongoing operations. The large machinery used for this purpose has limited visibility, and it's vital for residents to stay clear of active work zones.
- Take Breaks: Please make sure to take breaks when raking leaves, to avoid overexertion.
- Stay Hydrated: Be sure to drink plenty of water before, during and after raking leaves to avoid dehydration.