Staff Support: Thelma Kubitskey
Downtown Development Authority Board of Directors
Chair Person Mike Londeau
Mayor William R. Wil
The Westland Downtown Development Authority was established in 1996 under Public Act 197 of the public acts of 1975 for the following purpose:
- Attract new desirable commercial, office and entertainment development to the city.
- Encourage opportunities for new development as a means of enhancing business activities and preventing deterioration.
- Improve the Community's tax base.
- Create new and expanded employment opportunities.
- Make the District more attractive and convenient for both residents and businesses
In November, 1998, the Board of Directors for the Downtown Development Authority adopted the following mission statement:
"The purpose of the Westland Downtown Development Authority is to bring about the redevelopment of the D.D.A. District by aggressively assisting existing business and recruiting new business opportunities. The Westland Downtown Development Authority will accomplish these objectives by providing business training, financing advice, design assistance, public relations and other support services.
The Westland Downtown Development Authority will act as a liaison between the business community and local government to represent the interest of the businesses in the District and create an environment for regional development. The development process will always keep in mind the needs of the businesses, residents and market demands by keeping an eye on the future"