Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day
- Date: 10/14/2017 8:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
- Location: Wayne County Community Center
21000 Northline Road
Household Hazardous Waste Program
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program
Wayne County’s Department of Public Services hosts four Household Hazardous Waste Collections per year for County residents. The collections are designed to accept unwanted household chemicals for proper disposal and electronics for recycling from residents. Only household generated products from Wayne County residents are accepted.
For dates and locations of upcoming Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Waste Collection events, please click here.
Items that are accepted include:
- household paints, stains, dyes
- floor care items, furniture polish, bathroom cleaners
- lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers
- antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline
- automotive batteries, dry cell batteries, propane tanks
- old computers, printers, scanners, TV’s, cell phones, fax machines
- mercury containing thermometers, thermostats and elemental mercury
- fluorescent light bulbs (standard and compact)
- smoke detectors, fire extinguishers
- Pharmaceutical Waste (Non –controlled Substances only)
Items that are not accepted include:
- commercial waste, industrial waste
- ammunition, explosives
- 55-gallon drums
- radioactive materials
- unknown, unlabeled waste
- shock sensitive materials
- household trash
- CRT televisions and monitors
For a list of facilities that accept HHW year-round and for information on non-toxic alternatives, refer to the Wayne County Resource Recovery Guide.
Residents are encouraged to bring in mercury fever thermometers for disposal. Mercury is a toxic substance and can cause serious health effects if released into a home or the environment. For more information, please contact Wayne County’s Resource Recovery Coordinator at (734) 326-3936.